Sunday 25 February 2007

Diary of a Photog: Malawi

Spent most of last week in Malawi, for News of the World.
There is no language to describe the contradictions that exist there.



One of the most beautiful places in the world is also one of the poorest.
The people of rural Malawi live out their days in a constant quest to survive, punctuated by hunger and chronic disease and yet are some of the warmest and most generous people I've ever encountered. As I was leaving a tiny village called Lipunga, near the Zambian border, an elder pulled me aside, and with his hand on my chest answered the questions I couldn't ask, all with one succinct sentence: "Today is not the day I die, so today I will live."



I have to give a big up to my driver/translator/right-hand man Peter; thunderstorms, flash floods, crazy dirt roads, flat-out in a Toyota Corrolla 4x4 conversion, WRC is for pooftahs!!


Kids Fishing in the Road and Peter knee-deep just before crossing a flooded bridge!

No comments: